Texas Water Information

The Ogallala Aquifer, which underlies most of the High Plains of West Texas yields about two-thirds of all the groundwater we use in Texas.

Texans use about 16.5 million acre-feet   An acre-foot is enough water to cover 1 acre of land to a depth of 1 foot; it is 325,851 gallons of water.

Of all the water we use in Texas, about 60% is groundwater; the other 40 percent is surface water.

In the next 25 years, the fastest growing users of water are projected to be cities and industry. By the 2040s, the Texas Water Development Board projects that more water will be used by cities and industry than by agriculture.

Texas has an estimated 6,700 dams and reservoirs.

Statewide, groundwater comes from some 32 Texas aquifers. According to the Texas Water Development Board, nine aquifers supply about 97% of the of the groundwater that we use.

Stormwater runoff from construction sites can cause soil erosion to at a rate 20 times greater than normal land use situations.

Although the percentages vary slightly from year to year, about 80 percent of all groundwater used in Texas is for irrigating crops. Texas has about 6.3 million acres of irrigated land.

Comments are closed.